Anyway, I thought I'd post some random brain droppings to get this going. You'll probably see more of these in the future--I even made a little button thingie, you know--so, I'd get used to it if I were you....
- I'm really struggling with DNF-ing my current read. I'm working my way through Lauren Groff's Fates and Furies, which everyone is raving about and, honestly, I'm hating it. Normally, I would DNF it at this point--and I probably should do just that--but I've heard enough of the structure of the book to think it might turn itself around in the second half. That is apparently enough to keep me going. Well, that and the fact that it has been a while since I had the opportunity to write a really bad review--and those can be so much fun!
- If any bookish, web-savvy entrepreneurs are out there, I have an idea for you. I'm looking for something that is like Book Riot in scope, but isn't Book Riot. I like the basic idea of Book Riot, but I'm tired of feeling shamed because I enjoyed a book written by a straight white guy. Don't get me wrong--I'm all for diversity and do enjoy reading authors with backgrounds that differ from mine. However, my reading motivations are, well, different. Book Riot has gotten to a point where they have formed their own philosophy of bookishness and, if you don't share this view, they make it clear that they think you're a lesser being. Now, I know I'm not a lesser being and I stand by my previous view of Book Riot (they have an air of arrogance with more than a dash of immaturity). But, I like the basic structure that they offer. I just wish someone would replicate that without all the self-righteousness.
- You should follow me on Instagram at westmetromommyreads. I promise I won't flood your feed, but I do post often enough that it keeps things interesting (or so I tell myself). I also started something. My birthday was this past Tuesday and I turned the unremarkable 42. I'm not someone who is intimidated by "landmark" birthdays, or especially afraid of growing older. However, what I pictured 42 to be and what I'm experiencing are vastly different (luckily in a good way). I had planned to do a picture today of something of my life and use the existing hashtag #ThisIs42 (apparently, a lot of people use that tag...whatevs...). But, well, I took a picture on Tuesday and forgot to take one on Wednesday, so I had already blown that "every day" thing. So it will be most days. And I'll post other stuff...some bookish, some not. But, anyway, follow me! But, hey, if you don't want to follow me, or don't do Instagram, no worries. I'm sure a fair amount of these pictures will show up on Saturday Snapshot posts!
- Oh, in my last post, I alluded to a "new project" that I was taking on and that I wasn't ready to share anything about it yet. Well, a number of people said it sounded like I was pregnant and, when I went back to read the post, I agree--I did sound like I was pregnant. But, I am not pregnant! Read the bullet point before this one, I'm 42. Yes, I know women in their 40s have babies (both my grandmothers had babies well into their 40s--my maternal grandmother was 43 when she had my uncle and my paternal grandmother was 40 when she had my uncle and 45 when she had my father). However, if I were to have a 3rd child, I'd have to give up my craft room...again. And I just got it back. And it is a mess and I am not in the mood to clear it out...again. So, no baby. (And, that is all I'm going to say about my new project right now.)
- I feel bad that this is true for myself: I'm looking forward to TV shows starting up again. I'd like to say that I'm the kind of reader who has given up TV, but I'm not. I need my Big Bang Theory, Grey's Anatomy, Modern Family, Agents of Shield, and Grimm (but that last ONLY if they can get over the pure crapfest that was last season. Seriously, I've never seen a show crash and burn as quickly and completely as Grimm). I'm going to try to not add to that list, well, except for Stephen Colbert. How can you not watch Stephen Colbert? But, as I said, I'm going to try (although I don't expect to succeed) at keeping my viewing list short and my reading list long. We'll see how it goes.
So, that's what is rattling around in the old noggin' right now. Sigh..time to get back to the book I'm hating....