That is how many book blogs (and there are more non-book blogs!) I subscribe to and, honestly, I have no qualms about adding more to the mix.
Yes, I know that is a big number--a number that, frankly, seems unmanageable. I was a little shocked to realize that I subscribe to so many and still have time to read books and write my own blog. The truth is that, while I subscribe to all those blogs, I don't always read all of them. No, I do read all of them...I just don't always read all the post.
I can't help but feel a little guilt about not reading every post. The blogs I follow I genuinely enjoy and I want to support the bloggers. However, there are only so many hours in the day and, instead of cutting blogs from my reading list, I've opted to just not read certain posts.
I've come up with a system to quickly determine which blog posts I read and which ones I either save for later or skip completely. I use Bloglovin' to follow my blogs (and you can follow me there as well--just go to the box in the right sidebar!), which allows me to see the post title, a picture if one is available, and the first few lines of the post.
These posts I will read immediately:
- Any meme post in which I'm participating
- Non-review posts
- Reviews posts of books I've already read, especially if I had strong feelings--positive or negative--for the work being reviewed.
These post I will probably read:
- Reviews of books that I've never heard of (in which case I'll probably read just enough to decide if I want to add the book to my list)
- Giveaway posts (because I'm a sucker for winning things)
These posts I won't read--at least not immediately
- Reviews of books I'm currently reading, plan to read in the near future, or have just finished reading and have not yet reviewed.
- The 10th review post for the same book. Sorry, but there are just so many opinions on A Little Life or Fates and Furies or whatever book is hot at the moment that I can read.
I'm not doing this post to tell you all what to post so that I'll read your blog (because I know that is why you all blog...so that I can read it! Ha!). I guess, if nothing else, it is to exorcise myself of some of the guilt of not reading every single post. I'm not going to say that I've never fallen behind and that I've never just done a "Read All" on my backlog (you can thank NaNoWriMo for that one), but I do try to keep up with what I can.
I'm also working on commenting more. Honestly, sometimes it is just hard to comment and I have to give myself permission to not comment on every single post that I read. Still, my goal is to comment about 80% of the time, something that I haven't been doing in the past.
So, all you fellow book bloggers out there...keep on reading and keep on posting! It's a great community that we have going and I'm looking forward to it going on...and on....and on....