I knew there was a problem when I saw on Facebook that people were amazed at the $20, $40, or even $100 dollars they received in the Apple settlement and all I could do is sit back and say, "Well, isn't that cute?" My award was, well, significantly larger than that.
And I used it to buy more books.
Okay, back to that 794 and my undisclosed Apple settlement reward. I am going to put out a couple of
- I good chunk of my unread library consists of books that I did not actually buy. I received them as "surprise" mail from publishers (Lake Union, why must you send me every single title you publish?) or as giveaways or they are in the shoot for upcoming blog tours.
- As for the settlement, there was a period of time where I was frequently receiving Amazon gift cards as gifts and they all went towards "bestseller" books, which came out as about $6 a title in the settlement.
- My library has a really, really big used book sale.
- As I said, I got a very nice settlement...that all went for books.
Folks, I've got to get this under control. If I were to stick to my average of reading 100 books a year, this would take me almost 8 years to get through--and that's if no new books ever came in the house! (And, um, yeah...THAT isn't going to happen!)
Andi over at Estella's Revenge has the #ReadMyOwnDamnBooks thing going and, goshdarnit, I need to join in. Now, she has a bunch of mini challenges and such but I'm just going to set my own goal and it is this: Each month, that number needs to decrease. Here are some ways I'm going to do that:
- DON'T BUY BOOKS! Easier said that done...I already have 4 pre-orders coming to me (the new books by Liane Moriarty, Jennifer Weiner, and Sonali Dev. And, of course, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. I mean, I HAVE to have that one...right?) and I have 2 subscription accounts, but--beyond that--I'm going to try not to purchase anything else.
- STAY OFF NETGALLEY! Need I say more?
- Don't buy books for myself at the Library Book Sale (it is a great place to get books for my kids, but I need to stick to the kids' section)
- Don't be afraid to DNF books. Look, I have almost 800 to go...I can't waste time with books I'm not loving.
- Finally, I'm reporting back to you all each month with THE NUMBER! I'm asking you all to throw me some virtual side eye if that number does not decrease.