Happy New Year's Eve everyone! I'm writing this post up on December 26th, so who knows what the last days of the year will hold for me! But, I promised Christmas pictures for this post and Christmas pictures you shall have!
So, we did the Jolabokaflod (the Icelandic Christmas Book Flood) this year. Well, I was the only one who knew what it was, but everyone else put up with me. We got:
- Her Every Fear by Peter Swanson (this was actually an unsolicited review book that showed up on my doorstep a few days before Christmas, so I wrapped it up for myself--because I knew no one was going to be giving me a book!)
- Gertie's Leap to Greatness by Kate Beasley (I heard Gertie was supposed to be "the next Ramona Quimby" so I knew my daughter would love it!)
- Odessa Sea by Clive and Dirk Cussler (Clive Cussler is about the only author my husband will voluntarily read....)
- Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs (the only book here I'd previously read--and I knew my brother-in-law would enjoy it.)
- Thunder Boy Jr by Sherman Alexie (this was the real wild card of the bunch. I love Sherman Alexie and wanted to get this for my son, but I wasn't sure if he would like it. Since he made me read it 3 times now, I think it was a winner!)
- Redshirts by John Scalzi (I had to ask for help for a book for my father-in-law, but this was is a hit. I can hear him laughing about it in the next room right now!)
This is a blanket "the kids made" for Grandpa. When I say the kids made it, I mean my daughter did a fair amount of work, but the hubs and I spent a lot of time on it as well (and we worked to keep my son from walking all over it as we tied it up!) I think it is a testament to how well-loved my Father-in-Law is that this Packers loving family (well, the kids and I) would make a Seahawks blanket for him!
Speaking of the Packers, one of the few things my daughter specifically asked for was a Packers hoodie. My son had gotten one for his birthday in October and my daughter has been itching for her own.
And, of course, my son received some new Packers apparel as well. I told him that I hoped this shirt would be outdated before he outgrew it (I don't think that's going to happen this year, but maybe next year...)
Finally, here is my daughter, working hard on one of her new coloring books. I have to admit that I am not a fan of the Adult Coloring Book fad, but she loves them!